The mission of the University of Crete is to generate and transmit scientific knowledge, to prepare new scientists and scholars for its application, and to contribute to the advancement of human culture. These goals are achieved by pursuing close links between research and education, by encouraging scientific dialogue and by utilizing the capabilities and talents of staff and students.
The University of Crete seeks to make education and research an attractive and stimulating experience for its students and researchers by continuously striving to be on the cutting edge of contemporary developments. The University aspires to play a leading role in demonstrating the potential of Greek public universities to participate as equals in international academic life of the 21st century, by adopting international best practices, by outward-looking modes of operation, and by encouraging excellence and innovation.
The international orientation of the University is reflected in its track record of collaborations with many of the leading research and educational institutions in Europe and worldwide, as well as active promotion of mobility and exchange programmes. Research and research training at all levels benefits also from the de facto regional cluster of research institutions i.e. the Foundation for Research and Technology-Hellas (FORTH), the Institute of Marine Biology, Biotechnology & Aquaculture (IMBBC), the University General Hospital (PagNi) as well as the other higher education institutes in Crete.
The University fully participates in quality assurance mechanisms both for its academic and administrative structures, and it is a strategic choice of the University that there will be an ongoing effort to meet quality in all its structures. The 2021 Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings, ranks University of Crete (UoC) 351-400 out of more than 1,500 universities across 93 countries. The University also ranked 1st within Greece out of the 10 Greek universities included in this ranking, holding its 1st position for the third consecutive year.
The Computer Science Department (CSD) was funded in 1983 and belongs to the School of Sciences and Engineering. Since 2011 the department operates from our new buildings at Voutes University campus based in Heraklion, Crete, Greece. The Department has developed and implemented a modern curriculum that touches upon a multitude of technological and theoretical issues. The main objectives of the Program of Studies are:
– High level and high quality studies, according to international standards.
– Conformity with contemporary views on information and communication technologies.
– Application-oriented courses, with particular emphasis on laboratory-driven education, as well as the formulation of an excellent scientific and engineering profile, achieved through the cultivation of inquisitive and creative thinking and the assimilation of basic research principles.
– Proper balance of depth and breadth.
In addition, the Department has a strong research orientation and works closely with the Institute of Computer Science (ICS) of the Foundation for Research and Technology Hellas (FORTH). This cooperation creates an excellent environment for research and education and enjoys international recognition. Members of the Department throughout its history hold important international collaborations with leading academic and research institutions and also with industry/private sector in areas of crucial interest, including:
– Algorithms and Theory of Computing
– Human-Computer Interaction
– Computer architecture, Programming languages, and Computer Systems
– Databases, Cognitive and Information Systems
– Biomedical Informatics and Computational Biology
– Computer Graphics, Computer Vision and Robotics
– Networks, Security and Distributed Systems
– Machine Learning, Data Mining, Pattern Recognition
– Signals and Multimedia
Marios Pitikakis, PhD, Teaching Staff, pitikakis[at]csd.uoc.gr , +30-2810393546
Prof. Antonis Argyros, Head of Computer Science Department, argyros[at]csd.uoc.gr , +30-2810393505
Websites: https://www.uoc.gr , https://csd.uoc.gr